The Estevan Elecs boys high school football team held their year-end banquet Monday night with several awards being handed out to the team's top players.
The award winners included:
- Rookie of the Year - #2 Indy Froese (defensive back)
- Special Teams Player of the Year - #55 Hamisi Kassanga (kicker)
- Lineman of the Year - #64 Mike Schroeder (left guard)
- Bryan Illerbrun Award - #25 Thomas Harrison (defensive back), #12 Jayren Schulz (defensive back), #80 Dorian Sifton (wide receiver/quarterback), #13 Tristan Tober (quarterback/wide receiver), #66 Brayden Mehler (defensive tackle)
- Players Choice Award - #12 Jayren Schulz (defensive back)
- Defensive Player of the Year - #55 Hamisi Kassanga (defensive end)
- Offensive Player of the Year - #17 Khalifa Elshein (running back/receiver)
- CO-MVP - #55 Hamisi Kassanga (defensive end/kicker)
CO-MVP - #80 Dorian Sifton (wide receiver/quarterback/defensive back)
"It was nice to have our first awards banquet since 2019, and have all the players and their families in attendance," said head coach Mark Schott. "It was a great evening and a nice way to put an end on our season."
Schott highlighted a couple of players who had outstanding seasons.
"Hamisi Kassanga...he was part of a really strong defensive line unit, caused multiple fumbles and recovered two fumbles, had a couple sacks, and in on many tackles," Schott said.
"Khalifa Elshein...he bounced around to a few different positions until finally settling in at running back. But he performed well at wide receiver briefly and then slot back, and then really excelled as a running back late in our season," Schott said.
Schott said he's excited for next year given how young his team is.
"We're excited that 36 out of our 37 players are eligible to return...we only had one grade 12 on the team this year," he said. "So we're hoping with the vast majority of our team coming back next year, we can make those strides production-wise on the field and turn some of those tighter games into wins in our favour."