The Village of Fairlight, with a population of approximately 40 (2006) is located 19 Km from the Saskatchewan/Manitoba border and 31 Km south of Moosomin, at the junction of Highways 8 and 48. This friendly little village has more to offer than what meets the eye with its tight-knit sense of community and its close proximity to larger centres such as Moosomin, Redvers, Wawota, and Carlyle.
Land in the district started being surveyed in 1880 with the first settlers arriving shortly after. The first settlers were mainly from Ontario and the British Isles, with many from the U.S. coming later.
The name "Fairlight" came to be in the early 1890's, when a post office and a school were established and named after the English hometown of the first postmaster, Henry Hyde. The railroad track through Fairlight became operational in 1906, and the little mixed train that ran back and forth became known as the "Peanut".
With the railways came a construction boom -- grain elevators were erected, businesses established, and the Village of Fairlight was incorporated October 5, 1909. The Fairlight Hotel, built in 1906, burned in 1978. Today, this community remains strong in the agriculture, grain and livestock industries, with only a small core of the village remaining.
- Community Hall