The Village of Gainsborough with an approximate population of 286 (2001), is located on Highway #18, 115 km east of the City of Estevan. It is 6 km from the Manitoba border and 23 km north of the United States border.
Gainsborough’s location is unique in that there are many other towns and villages nearby, creating a very large area from which people travel to and from for the services they require. For example, only 8 miles east is the community of Pierson, MB. To the west 8 miles is the village of Carievale, SK. 16 miles straight north of Gainsborough is the hamlet of Fertile, SK. The closest community to the south is Sherwood, North Dakota. Other towns in the area are Storthoaks, Carnduff, Glen Ewen, Oxbow and Bellegarde, Saskatchewan, as well as Lyleton, Tilston, and Melita, Manitoba. Estevan, SK is just over one hour east, and Minot, ND is about 75 minutes south. Brandon, MB is a 2 hour drive, and Regina is 3 hours by car.
The Gainsborough Creek forms most of the southern boundary of the town, while the rest of the community is bordered by open fields and pasture.
Primary income of community members is derived from agricultural businesses (farming, ranching) and petroleum drilling services.
The village was the first in the province to register as incorporated in 1894. It is suggested that the name came from J. Sadler whose hometown in England was Gainsborough. The village of Gainsborough is the seat of the Rural Municipality of Argyle, which was also founded in 1894, making it the oldest incorporated village in the province of Saskatchewan.
The old stone buildings of early years have been preserved in this community and contribute to it’s history and appeal.
- Parks & Playgrounds
- Bennet Park – located on Railway Avenue
- Bowens Park – central along the southern half of the town along Antler Avenue.
- Gainsborough Agricultural Grounds & Sports Field – Kitchen facilities, three baseball diamonds, and racetrack located north of the Curling Rink.
- Community Hall - basement with kitchen, main hall has a stage and upper meeting room
- Curling Rink
- Camping – located north of the Health Center
- Museum – a private museum with articles from the town’s history that is open by request.
- Volunteer Fire Department, Health Centre, and a special care home.