The Town of Midale is located nearly 30 minutes west of Estevan, on Highway 39 and is home to many oil businesses, cattle and agriculture. Within close proximity of Estevan & Weyburn, Midale is a short, scenic commute to either city while providing a great place to live and enjoy the “small town” Saskatchewan lifestyle. The Town of Midale has everything you need, and more!
Midale remains a progressive community, even in today’s times when towns no longer have to be self-sufficient due to ease of travel and their location to larger centers. Make sure that you stop in and visit Midale, where "Oil, Grain and Recreation Meet".
In the early summer of 1903 a number of settlers had started arriving in the Midale area to file on their 160 acres homestead, a gift from the Canadian Government to men 18 years of age and older. Three of these settlers went into partnership and plans were made to start building a townsite. These early visionaries were Rev. Olaf Sutherland, Andrew Westman and Ole Wedin.
Up until that time, the area was known only as the Halbrite and Macoun "siding". It was time for a name. The name "Mitchell" for Dr. R.M. Mitchell, who single handedly served an area from Moose Jaw to Estevan from 1899 to 1903 was first suggested but there was already a "Mitchell" in the Territory of Assinaboia so a compromise was necessary. The first two letters of "Mitchell" were combined with the last name of the first settler in the district, Mr. Ole Dale, and "Midale" was born.
In addition to many fine businesses the town also has a K-12 school, a nursery school, the curling rink and new skating rink, a swimming pool, Senior Citizens Housing complex, a Seniors Drop-In Centre, an impressive museum and a modern health care facility.
- Mainprize Manor and Health Centre: offers long-term care as well as many other services including doctor clinics, day respite, outpatient service, lab services, a handivan, meals on wheels etc.
- Education: The Midale Central School, houses students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 in an updated facility with a library, science lab, gym, home economics room and many other features.
- Mainprize Regional Park & Golf Course: Besides the golf course (which is rated one of the best in Sask) the Park has a beautiful beach area, a marina, "Docks" General Store, rental cabins and a bed & breakfast. The fishing is great as is the boating and water sports.
- Midale Memorial Rink to the Harry O. Memorial Arena: Midale now boasts a brand-new rink, which is home to several minor hockey teams and figure skaters. Public skating, shinny and walking programs are also offered and the ice is rented out to many teams from other centers. We are proud to be home to the Midale Mustangs Big Six Senior Hockey Team.
- Curling Rink: is also kept busy hosting the Midale Oilmen’s Bonspeil, Farmers Bonspeil, and Ladies Bonspiel.
- Museum and Heritage Village