The Town of Oxbow is Saskatchewan's best kept secret! Nestled in the southeast corner of Saskatchewan, Oxbow is a thriving and progressive community. Located along highway # 18, approximately forty minutes east of Estevan and a short distance from the U.S. and Manitoba border.
With a population of approximately 1,300, the friendly people and home town feeling are what awaits you in Oxbow. Affordability, low crime rates, services, shops, and recreation are all of the things that the people in Oxbow love about home. There are so many things to see and do. The scenic Souris Valley is an escape from hectic daily lives!
The first teacher in the area, Mrs. T. M. Baird, named the rural post office and school Boscurvis, which is Latin for oxbow. Oxbow refers to the curves of a winding river cut off from the main stream, and as such, the town’s name was derived from the oxbow bend in the Souris River, which passes along the community’s south side.
The town of Oxbow was incorporated in 1904 but was founded originally founded by settlers, largely of English, Irish and Scottish origin, as they began homesteading in the district in 1882. The community grew very rapidly: by 1916, the population was 678, and that number remained relatively constant through several decades. In the mid-1950s, significant development began in the area’s oilfields, and for several years the region experienced boom times as drilling rigs, industry-related services and personnel moved into the area. Today, oil and gas, as well as agriculture, drive the regional economy.
Famous hockey player, Theoren Fleury, who was born in Oxbow in 1968, was the first player in the history of the NHL to score three short-handed goals in one game.
Oxbow has a full and vibrant business community and many recreation facilities.
- Parks & Recreation:
- Moose Creek Regional Park and Golf Club - located 4 miles north and 1.5 miles west of Oxbow includes fully serviced sites as well as group camping and tenting. Moose Creek also offers many recreational activities such as boating, fishing, swimming, golfing, and a playground. Services include: dumping station, boat launch, picnic tables, grills, showers, and fish filleting shack.
- Lion’s playground is located across from the Oxbow swimming pool and Oxbow arena. Playground is equipped with many play structures.
- Alameda Dam
- Bow Valley Park - located south of Oxbow just off of Marconi Road in the valley. The park has well treed & fully serviced camp sites, hiking trails, and ball diamonds.
- Ralph Allen Memorial Museum - named after the locally raised and renowned Canadian journalist, war correspondent, and author.
- Oxbow Arena - features an artificial ice surface for skating and curling.
- Oxbow Community Pool - an outdoor facility with a swimming pool and paddling pool.
- Galloway Health Centre/Oxbow Hospital - an integrated hospital facility with long term care and physician services.