The Town of Stoughton continues to grow with an approximate population of more than 720, and is located 60 km east of Weyburn and 60 km north of Estevan, situating itself along the junction of three major highways; Highways #13, 33, and 47 - one of which has been designated 'The Red Coat Trail', commemorating the movement of a detachment of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police on route across southern Saskatchewan to Fort McLeod.
Like many other Saskatchewan towns, there is some doubt in how the town was named. Some say it was named for the first chief dispatcher of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in Montreal, Quebec, while others say it was named for the conductor of the first train that came through the Village. Whatever the origin, everyone agrees that the railway named the Town of Stoughton.
The tiny settlement of New Hope was barely three years old when the CPR arrived in this part of the province in 1904. This small settlement was relocated to today’s present townsite after the railway surveyed and chose a location a little to the south for its depot. New Hope disappeared as people relocated to be on the rail line.
Stoughton was incorporated in 1904 and was well situated to become the distribution centre for a wide area with tracks running northwest to Regina and east into Manitoba. In the days of rail travel, there was passenger service as well as freight service. The line from Regina still remains the longest straight stretch of track in North America, and is the second longest in the world (the longest is in Australia). The community faced a significant downturn during the 1930s, but in the years following World War II growth was steady. Since Stoughton acquired its Town status in 1960, such amenities as sewer and water, paved streets, and natural gas, have helped it to continue to grow into the attractive community it is today.
The area economy is mainly based upon agriculture (grains, oilseeds, and pulse crops), oil and gas production, and related oilfield support services. One of the best-known rinks in Canadian curling history, the Richardson rink, came from Stoughton. The Richardson rink was inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame, and skip Ernie Richardson was honoured with the Order of Canada in 1978.
- Stoughton and District Museum - Over 2,500 artifacts from historical photographs to children's toys. There are theme displays including an early-day kitchen, front room, and bedroom. If you are lucky, you may even arrive on time for one of our demonstration days when various pioneer activities are reenacted.
- Stoughton Golf Course - 9-hole par 34 course with natural landscape and irrigated fairways and grass greens.
- Taylor Park – named after Wilfred C. Taylor, the Town's first Mayor, this park is a quiet walk along winding pathways and can be a refreshing experience. Surrounding a man-made pond, this small patch of green lies just west of Main Street. Equipped with picnic sites and a restroom, it is great for family or group gatherings. A large sand box with playground equipment is available for the children. The newly installed lighting makes for an enjoyable evening walk through the park. Future plans for the park include a bandstand, fountain out in the pond, and a serving booth for the large gatherings.