Header

 

The hamlet of Wauchope is located along highway #13, approximately 15 minutes east of Manor and 15 minutes west of Redvers. People began to settle within an area of Wauchope in 1901 and 1902, after the railway had arrived. Part of the community came from France and Belgium while other settlers came from Britain, Ontario and the U.S.

 

The railroad reached Wauchope from the east in 1901, while the Boer War was still in progress. The townsite was named for General W. Wauchope, who was of Scottish birth. As the story goes, the men building track on the Arcola line had mail brought forward to them from the end of steel to where they were camping. Two townsites ready for survey needed names. It seemed appropriate to those on the spot to call the two towns after Gen. Sir Redvers Buller; and Wauchope, after his comrade in arms. Wauchope was incorporated as a village in 1906.

 

St. Regis Church began in 1902 and offered services for almost 90 years before closing its doors in 1990.

 

The first Wauchope School house was situated just west of where the Protestant Cemetery now resides. The school district was formed in 1909 and children from north of Wauchope then attended the rural school.

 

The Convent of Ste. Anne, founded by sisters of the Cross who came from Forget, formed this boarding school in 1914. This was in constant use until it was moved to Redvers. Part of the old Convent of St. Anne now sits in Redvers and is used as an apartment building. A stone cairn commemorates this settlement and is now declared as a Historic Site. This can be found along Highway #13, just north of the parish church.

 

Telephones first came to Wauchope in 1914. The first oil well was also drilled in the Wauchope area on May 27, 1957.

 

In its early years, Wauchope was a busy business centre, serving a territory halfway to Oxbow and Wawota. It had a privately owned elevator as well as those of Western Canada. There were two livery barns, two or more general stores, a bakery, butcher shop, hotel, barbershop, poolroom, two blacksmiths, a lumber yard, two or more implement agencies and a real estate promoter.

 

Today the hamlet is home to approximately five families. Still standing is the Catholic church and rectory. A large Catholic cemetery is also located beside the church. Regular church services are no longer offered. The church, still tended and cared for, now has large kitchens and hall space in the basement, and serves as a gathering place for both religious and social events in the community.

 

Despite the low number of residents and the lack of actual businesses inside Wauchope lines, a few thriving businesses lay on the outskirts.

DiscoverEstevan.com is Estevan's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Login