It's been one busy week and some for the Estevan Fire Department, as they've responded to a wide variety of calls for service, including nine in the past four days.
"On Sunday we had a CO alarm call...it looked like it was an underground parking situation," related Fire Chief Dale Feser, reminding people to be careful about leaving vehicles running in such locations. Crews did find CO in the air and were able to clear it out.
"We also got called to an electrical hazard in the southwestern portion of the city. Once crews arrived on scene, it was found that there was an issue with the electrical service into the home. SaskPower crews were asked to attend the scene and did another evaluation there, it was neutralized and deemed safe and turned over to SaskPower for mitigation and repairs."
A natural gas leak in the same area also had the attention of the fire department. A line had ruptured due to some underground work taking place, a good reminder to call before one digs. Crews closed the leak spot off, and SaskEnergy arrived and resolved the situation.
"Monday evening at approximately 6:00 PM, crews were called to a reported structure fire that sounded like it was electrical in nature. They arrived on scene to find that the power had been isolated by the homeowner, the curtains that were involved in the fire were removed and brought to the outside of the occupancy. Crews did make entry, confirm that the power was isolated and that there was no longer any fire occurring thanks to the actions of the homeowner, and made sure that the curtains were suppressed and extinguished to prevent any further fires from occurring," Feser related.
A fire alarm in the north central part of town required their attention the next day, but it turned out to be a wrong button pushed while the building manager was working on the panel. The department also investigated the report of an illegal fire, and found someone burning leaves, twigs and grass, which is illegal inside city limits. The Chief noted that the upcoming free landfill weekend is a much better method of disposing of such materials.
"Later on that Tuesday afternoon at approximately 3:30 PM, we got called to a diesel fuel leak from a semi trailer that was parked on 5th Street. Crews arrived on scene...we mitigated the scene by preventing it (the fuel) from entering the storm sewer system or any other drainage for the city, cleaned up the spill and isolated the leak. At that time, the repairs were going to be made to the tank, no further leaks were occurring from that particular unit."
"At 6:00 PM that night, we were called to a downed powerline and possible tree fires down in the Woodlawn Regional Park, by the football field. Crews arrived on scene to find a homeowner had been doing some pruning of trees, and one tree branch fell across and took out a powerline. Power was out for the south area of the city for a considerable amount of time until SaskPower and Estevan Fire crews were able to deem the scene safe, make sure that everything was extinguished, and SaskPower crews continued to work and restore power in that particular area."
The busy day continued with training for the members, before being called out on Wednesday to a commercial fire alarm in the central part of the city. They didn't find any smoke or flames, and they discovered that someone had accidentally bumped into an emergency switch and activated it.