The past week made for a full call log for Estevan Fire and Rescue, with several different scenarios requiring their attention.
"On Monday, September 3rd we were alerted to a commercial fire alarm occurring shortly after 4:30 PM. Once crews arrived on scene, there was no visible smoke or flames from the exterior of the building. Upon further investigation and analysis of the fire alarm panel, it was indicating a flow switch initiation. The crews did check the entire occupancy out, and found it to be a faulty switch within the system," said Fire Chief Dale Feser, adding that the building owner was informed so repairs could be made.
That evening, they were called out to a carbon monoxide alarm in the central part of the city. Upon arrival, crews discovered that the air in the home did contain CO, and SaskEnergy was called. Eventually, it was determined that the cause had ties to the gas hot water heater. Everyone was able to escape for fresh air.
"Anytime carbon monoxide alarms do go off, we want to make sure that people are calling 911, and safely get yourself out to a fresh air environment. That's something you don't want to play around with."
"We're starting to see some colder weather move into the area. People will fire up their boilers and furnaces and whatnot, so you want to take that opportunity to make sure that appliances are running as efficiantly as possible. You want to call in vac companies and clean out your vents, and make sure everything is functioning correctly before they start being put into use on a regular basis," Feser advised, noting that it's also important to make sure your detection device is up to date. They received another call for CO early Wednesday morning, which turned to be a false alarm.
"On the fourth we had training. We took the opportunity to so some hazardous materials response training, which kind of came in handy later on in the the week. On Thursday the sixth, we were called out to a single vehicle rollover with injuries and hazardous materials involved. This was on Highway 39, 11 kilometers east of the city in the Roche Percee valley on the east side. Crews arrived on scene, made a quick assessment, found out that there were leaks coming from the vessel of the transport tractor trailer. They made sure that the driver of the unit was tended to first and foremost, and they were able to make an evaluation on the actual truck and trailer unit."
The trucking company was notified, and EFRS hazmat crews began damming, diking, and controlling the leaking materials. They were able to contain it to a minimum while waiting for the company's support equipment made it to the scene and offload the rest of the load.
"(It was) very good teamwork by all members, EMS, RCMP services, the Fire Department, and the trucking company to successfully mitigate the scene with very minimal impact to traffic, as were on for pretty much a ten hour call. For ten hours, motorists were asked to respect our workzones, and they did so quite readily," shared Feser.
Firefighters also engaged in PR activities, including manning the dunk tank for the Kinsmen and Kinettes, and attending the Estevan Humane Society's Duck Derby.