While the rest of the Energy City was ringing in the New Year, or snug in bed, members of Estevan Fire Rescue were performing their duties to keep everyone safe.
"New Years was pretty good, but it was a little on the active side for us," said Fire Chief Dale Feser, "We had few calls right from the 28th (of December) on. We had one motor vehicle collision that we responded to with no injuries, a couple commercial fire alarms, we did have a carbon monoxide alarm as well and that would have been on New Years Eve. We actually ran three calls on New Years Eve and one call on New Years Day, so we have our first response in for 2018."
He added that the incident with carbon monoxide turned out to be a faulty detection device. Age was the issue, as it was over 10 years old.
"We just want to remind everybody that, should those devices reach the 8-10 years of age, that's the time when you need to be replacing them."
"Also while we were out that night, due to the extremely cold temperatures, we saw a lot of vent stacks that were being frozen off, and there's still a lot of frost residue around those. Whether it's a horizontal or vertical application for ventilation for your gas fired appliances, or even your plumbing stacks, you want to make sure that you are knocking the ice and frost away, so it allows the gases to safely escape the home," stated Feser.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are similar to the flu, according to the Fire Chief. Cherry red skin in the face is one of the biggest telltale signs, in addition to headaches, dizzyness, and nausea.