With blowing and drifting snow, homeowners should be cautious that snow isn't blocking vents causing carbon monoxide to fill the home.
"This time of the year ow with snow arriving and blowing around in your yards," explained Deputy Fire Chief, Rick Davies. "You have to make sure that the chimneys and the vent stacks for your furnaces and water heaters are clear."
"Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas so you wouldn't know unless you have a carbon monoxide detector that is functioning in your house."
"With heaters running full tilt now, make sure that vents are clear, not iced up, not plugged with snow."
He added that if that carbon monoxide alarm does go off, you need to take it seriously.
"Don't hesitate to call 911. We'll come and clear the house and make sure that there aren't any issues. And if there is, we'll help guide the homeowners in rectifying the situation."