The Estevan Fire and Rescue responded to two calls on Tuesday including one at the Estevan Police Station.
"At approximately 1:30 pm on Tuesday, we were called to a reported structure fire at the police station," Fire Cheif, Dale Feser shares. "It appeared they had smoke coming from their ventilation system. Crews arrive on the scene to find the staff at the police station safely mustered, and nobody was in the cells. We found a light hazing of smoke contained to the bathroom areas on the main level."
"Maintenance staff for the City of Estevan also responded to the scene as we needed to get into the mechanical maintenance room to ensure that none of the heating or air conditioner units were involved in that. After further investigations, crews went in with thermal imaging cameras and did pick up a thermal signature into a ventilation stand that was tied into the two bathrooms on the main floor there."
"We were able to safely de-energized the particular fan and expose it. We did indeed find that the ventilation fan indeed had suffered a mechanical failure and ended up causing a little bit of a smokey situation in there and a terrible smell. Crews ventilated the area and once the motor was cooled down enough we turned it over to the maintenance staff and the police department and crews cleared out and return to the station."
He adds that anytime you see or smell smoke it's best to call Fire and Rescue to stay safe.
Crews were also called out later that evening.
"At approximately 7:15 we are called out to a motor vehicle collision. It was a single vehicle collision with unknown hazardous materials involved and unknown Injuries at the time, it involved a semi tractor-trailer unit that was reported on the side with fuel leaking. We arrived on scene to find that RCMP had already been on the scene and established traffic control. The individual managed to safely exit the vehicle and there were no injuries to speak of, however, we did find the fuel cell was leaking."
"So crews established a traffic control and tried to mediate the leak and sure that no fires would start from the vehicle. Once the scene was redeemed safe it was turned off over to the RCMP to figure out the cause of the collision as well as the towing company to recover the vehicle."