It has been over two weeks since the City of Estevan decided to reopen the Civic Auditorium and they are still waiting on insurance approval before they can do so.
"To this date," shared Mayor Roy Ludwig, "although we are expecting it soon, we have still not been approved for insurance."
"We've gone ahead with the RFPs (request for proposals) and that closed last week. We sent that out for a structural engineering firm. We've already had two weigh in but we've sent it out for any structural engineering firm to do the diagnosis and then move forward with the repairs under their scrutiny. Mr. March, our manager, will be going through the RFPs and will be recommending one for us for the next meeting to move forward on the repairs."
"So we're doing our due diligence on that side, we're just waiting for the insurance company and I still feel positive that we will get insurance but I think it's a lot to do with the time of year. We're still patiently waiting."
Ludwig adds that the delay can likely be chalked up to the holidays.
"I believe that's exactly what it is. Many people now are gone and maybe getting back but a lot of people take one week some take two so I think it's just a tough time of year. I'm expecting that we get an answer sometime this week, I'm hoping."
After the insurance is approved, the next steps will be to make the necessary repairs.
"It's our understanding that the rods, the steel rods in the Civic, some have to be tensioned, they are too loose because of the settling of the building. And then some others have to be tightened because of the shifting of the building. Once that's taken care of, and we're told that's a few days, then the building can open again. And again, once we get insurance, then following that, then the engineering firm can follow through on the needed inspection and follow up with the repairs while it's opened."
Ludwig adds that the north side will likely be closed while they do the inspection and repairs. The hope is to have the Civic opened by the end of the month,.
"If all goes according to plan, we think that is a realistic date."