The Estevan Fire and Rescue Department were kept busy these last few days.
"On Friday morning, around 1:00 AM, the fire department was called to the report of the smell of smoke inside a restaurant bar establishment in the north central area of the city. Crews arrived on scene to find no visible smoke or flames from the exterior of the building. Estevan police service members were already on scene at that time. Once we arrived on scene, they indicated there was a strong electrical smoke smell that was coming from the manager's office."
Crews entered the building and used thermal imaging to find the source of the smell.
"We were unable to find the cause of the smell, we could smell it but there were no thermal signatures indicating any overheat of electrical equipment or wires. The scene was turned over to the building manager and we told him to watch the computer electronic equipment which we figure might have been the cause of the smell."
Saturday was a very busy day for Estevan Fire and Rescue and they responded to reports of three fires.
"The first call came in at approximately 9 AM, "explained Fire Chief, Dale Feser, "for a reported structure fire in the central area of the Village of Benson. Crews did arrive on scene to find a fully involved double detached garage. However, the fire itself was threatening the main home occupancy."
Firefighters immediately battled to protect the house from the fire. The fire was quickly under control. Stoughton fire department also assisted in the call with water supply. There were no injuries as a result of the fire. The fire is under investigation although it is not thought to be suspicious.
"Crews wrapped up on that one and just nicely made the city limits when they responded to a report of a power pole or arching fire on the Highway 39 bypass. Crews attended the area, however, were unable to locate an area of concern. SaskPower was in the area indicating that they had some issues but nothing reported from this particular area."
They cleared the scene, turned it over to SaskPower, and returned to the station.
"Approximately 2:30 PM, crews were called to a rooftop heating air conditioning unit fire at a restaurant bar establishment in the southeast portion of the city. Once crews arrived on scene, they found that the HVAC unit had suffered an electrical fire."
They put out the flames and isolated all power to the unit. Afte ensuring no fire remained, the building was turned over to the building manager.