The Estevan Fire and Rescue Department were kept busy these last few days. 

"On Friday morning, around 1:00 AM, the fire department was called to the report of the smell of smoke inside a restaurant bar establishment in the north central area of the city. Crews arrived on scene to find no visible smoke or flames from the exterior of the building. Estevan police service members were already on scene at that time. Once we arrived on scene, they indicated there was a strong electrical smoke smell that was coming from the manager's office."

Crews entered the building and used thermal imaging to find the source of the smell. 

"We were unable to find the cause of the smell, we could smell it but there were no thermal signatures indicating any overheat of electrical equipment or wires. The scene was turned over to the building manager and we told him to watch the computer electronic equipment which we figure might have been the cause of the smell."

Saturday was a very busy day for Estevan Fire and Rescue and they responded to reports of three fires.

"The first call came in at approximately 9 AM, "explained Fire Chief, Dale Feser, "for a reported structure fire in the central area of the Village of Benson. Crews did arrive on scene to find a fully involved double detached garage. However, the fire itself was threatening the main home occupancy."

Firefighters immediately battled to protect the house from the fire. The fire was quickly under control. Stoughton fire department also assisted in the call with water supply. There were no injuries as a result of the fire. The fire is under investigation although it is not thought to be suspicious. 

"Crews wrapped up on that one and just nicely made the city limits when they responded to a report of a power pole or arching fire on the Highway 39 bypass. Crews attended the area, however, were unable to locate an area of concern. SaskPower was in the area indicating that they had some issues but nothing reported from this particular area."

They cleared the scene, turned it over to SaskPower, and returned to the station.

"Approximately 2:30 PM, crews were called to a rooftop heating air conditioning unit fire at a restaurant bar establishment in the southeast portion of the city. Once crews arrived on scene, they found that the HVAC unit had suffered an electrical fire."

They put out the flames and isolated all power to the unit. Afte ensuring no fire remained, the building was turned over to the building manager. 

More Local News

New Look for Canadian Dollar in 2019: Will Honour Gay Rights

Joe Wickenhauser is the Executive Director of Moose Jaw PRIDE and the Saskatchewan PRIDE Network. 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality in Canada. To commemorate…

SaskPower Pleased With Performance Of CCS at Boundary Dam Power Station

SaskPower’s carbon capture and storage facility at the Boundary Dam Power Station had a great year in 2018, according to their vice president of power production, Howard Matthews. The facility…

Millions for Crop Research in Saskatchewan

On Wednesday, the federal Minister of Agriculture Lawrence MacAulay and Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister David Marit announced more than $12 million in funding for forty-four crop-related research…

Humane Society Receives Big Boost With $5000 Grant

The humane society has recently received a $5000 grant from the Western Financial western community foundation. Angela Prette with the humane society was extremely happy with the amount of the grant…

Bitter Winds Sticking Around

After some balmy temperatures and days to start the new year, more traditional Saskatchewan weather has moved in for the third week of January. Cold days and even colder nights with bitter winds is…

Snowplow Safety Important For Everyone

With the lack of snowfall we've seen in the southeast corner of the province, it's easy to forget about the drivers that keep the roads clear and drivers safe. Snowplow operators are often overlooked…

Accident On 13th Ave and King Street

A two-vehicle collision took place early Wednesday morning. "At approximately 7:45 this morning, a two-vehicle collision occurred at the intersection of 13th Avenue and King Street," explained…

The Difference Between Norovirus and Influenza Explained

Norovirus has been identified as the cause of a number of cases of nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting in the province. "Norovirus is a type of virus that affects the intestinal system," explained Doctor…

City's Proposed 2019 Budget Includes No Increase In Taxes Or Utility Rates

The city is planning some ambitious ideas for the proposed 2019 budget, but they won’t be including any higher taxes or utlility increases. The proposed budget was prepared by city administration and…

Pharmacies Running Out Of Flu Vaccine

It’s been a tough flu season in Canada and now some pharmacies in the Estevan area have been running out of the flu vaccine. Jeff Hilderman at the Estevan Pharmasave has seen his pharmacy run out of…

DiscoverEstevan.com is Estevan's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login