It's colourless and odorless and without proper detection, you may never know it's there. Fire Chief, Dale Feser, is warning residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO).
"We did have one CO alarm call yesterday evening right around 6:30. We were called to the southcentral area of the city to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm."
"Crews arrived on scene to find that the homeowner was actually changing the battery int he system. It had gone off and he thought ti was a dead battery."
The house was checked over just to make sure that no CO was present and that it was safe to return inside.
"We made entry with gas detection equipment. If nothing else just peace of mind."
Feser reminds all residents when their CO detector goes off, to get out and always call 911.
"This is a colourless, odorless, tasteless gas and your only means of detecting this is with a detection device. You don't want to run the risk of possibly thinking that it is a faulty detection device when it wasn't and there was carbon monoxide in the home."
"In this case, we were very fortunate that there wasn't."
Carbon monoxide can get in your house through many different means such as warming your car up in your attached garage, gas fired appliances such as hot water heaters and furnaces and even through charging vehicle batteries.
"When in doubt, make sure you call 911."
In addition to the one call over the weekend, the EFRD attended the Bruins' games on Friday and Saturday and have been busy selling their 50/50 tickets. To get yours, contact a member of the fire department or go down to the Fire Hall.