More information is coming out about the carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Montmartre Saturday.

SaskEnergy suspects the source of the carbon monoxide, which sent upwards of fifteen players aged nine and ten to the hospital in Weyburn, and potentially more to other urgent care facilities in the region was fumes from the ice cleaning machine in use at the area.

Casey McLeod, a spokesperson for SaskEnergy, explained the technician sent out after receiving a call from the Montmartre Fire Department determined there were no leaks causing the high levels. Instead, vents, normally left open, were closed due to the extreme cold, which resulted in the build-up of the gas.

The carbon monoxide was detected at the ice surface, as well as at the lobby.

A number of the players began showing symptoms during games, and tournament organizers cancelled the final game of the tournament when one of the Weyburn teams participating had a number of players fall ill.

The Saskatchewan Health Authority has stated they are unable to confirm how many players were seen in the hospital and is unable to confirm the severity of the symptoms.

There were two teams from Weyburn, as well as Montmartre and Kipling at the tournament.

More Local News

Carlyle Fire Chief Recognized For 31 Years Of Service

At the SUMA convention earlier this month, Fire Chief Donald VanMeer of Carlyle Fire And Rescue accepted a long time service award for serving the community of Carlyle for the last 31 years. In 1988…

Family Fun Planned At Estevan Leisure Centre On Family Day

Family Day is on Monday and the Estevan Leisure Centre has many free events going on for the whole family. At Affinity Place, the ‘Johnny Witzke RBC Community Skate’ that is set for 1 pm until 2:15…

Whiskers and Wine Gala Continues to Grow

For the third straight year, the Estevan Humane Society's Whiskers and Wine Gala grew in size Saturday night. The gala fundraiser drew out a crowd of over 150 people with dinner, a great local act…

Youth Citizen Found With Alcohol By EPS

The Estevan Police Service were kept busy Saturday night with a few calls one of which was a report of some damage to the washrooms in the Curling Rink and the Leisure Center. Police are now…

Southeast Newcomer Services 50 Vital Conversations

Southeast Newcomer Services is the recipient of a South Saskatchewan Community Foundation grant to host one of the 50 Vital Community Conversations as part of its 50th anniversary year. Stephanie…

Estevan Library Tutoring Teenagers

The Estevan Library is stepping up to help teenagers that could use some help with their studies, they have started a new program that brings a new focus of help in regards to homework. Lucas Reed…

Teacher Appreciation Week

In celebration of Teacher Appreciation Day, we set out to show a teacher in our community how much we appreciate them. We found Westview School up for the challenge of letting us chase down a…

Long Weekend Offers Free Chance to Fish

While the weather may be frightful, families can still plan for some outdoor activities this weekend. The February long weekend marks a free fishing weekend for the entire province. Regional…

EPS Warn Drivers Of SaskPower's Work On Souris Ave.

Friday night SaskPower was called to a gas leak on the south side of town on Souris Avenue between 3rd Street and 4th Street. The Estevan Police Service would like to warn the Citizens of Estevan to…

Southeast College Recognized Again

For the second consecutive year the Southeast College has been named as one of the Top Employers in the province. It's a spinoff of the 'Canada's Top 100 Employers' competition that is conducted…

DiscoverEstevan.com is Estevan's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login