A structure fire in a commercial building on the north end of town had the attention of fire crews on Tuesday night as they headed out to do what they do best.
"Upon arrival on the scene, the occupants were still in the building, unaware that there was a rooftop air conditioning and heating unit that was starting to smoke," shared Fire Chief Dale Feser.
"We were able to isolate the power to the unit, and there was no extension of the fire or smoke inside the building. At no time was anybody in any danger whatsoever. We just came in, isolated everything, made sure that there was no further emergency occurring and cleared the scene out."
He noted that such occurrences usually happen more often during the winter months.
"We definitely see that because the appliances have a lot more opportunity to run, so a friendly reminder would be to have your heating units serviced, whether it be a boiler or a furnace. You want to take a look at your duct work and make sure that somebody comes in and vacs that out at least once or twice a year. With the water heaters kicking in, make sure that their vents are free and clear. That's where we start to see carbon monoxide issues, if the venting gases are not allowed to escape the home they can come back in and cause issues."
Feser added that a part of that is also checking your carbon monoxide alarm to make sure that it is working properly.
The Fire Department has also responded to a few motor vehicle accidents in the past few days, and so the Chief reminds drivers to slow down and take their time on the road.