A lunchtime gas leak sent Estevan Fire and Rescue racing this afternoon.
"At approximately 12:30 this afternoon," shared Fire Chief, Dale Feser, "the Estevan Fire Department was alerted to the report of a natural gas leak that was occurring in the southeastern portion of the city in the industrial area."
"Crews did arrive on scene to find that a construction company was doing some excavating work when the ground sluffed in a little bit affecting the natural gas service for the occupancy for which they were working by."
"A small natural gas leak did occur. Crews were able to isolate and manipulate the valves and prevent the leak from growing and getting any worse. All ignition sources were taken care of. SaskEnergy was asked to attend the scene and took a look into the situation and we're going to call in crews to further evaluate and take care of the scene afterward."
There were no injuries in the incident.
Feser added that the quick work of the construction crew helped prevent the leak from becoming worse.
"Crews were quick acting and quick thinking. They shut down that majority of the equipment that they were working on in the area and they tried to shut off some of the valves themselves so that helped us out quite greatly. It was a quick call to 911 and we were able to get in and make sure the situation was neutralized."