It's one of those ever present topics that is always a great conversation maker for rural drivers...rough roads.

With that said, a cost sharing partnership between the RM of Reciprocity and provincial Ministry of Highways will see the improvement to sections of Highways 361 and 318.

6 kilometers of asphalt will be laid on 318. On 361, 10 kilometers will be improved to super-grade standard grid road. 70 percent of the price burden will be carried by the province, while the remaining 30 percent will be shouldered by the RM.

According to Reeve Alan Arthur, the project has been in the works for many years, so the money is in place and ready for the sorely needed facelift.

"With 361, from Highway 8 to Alida-the ten kilometers-that road has been habitually impassible in really wet years. There's been occasions when traffic has been stuck in the middle of the road. It has deteriorated to the point that few people voluntarily travel on it," he explained, noting that it is a link for heavy industrial traffic between Highways 8 and 9, not to mention the local traffic.

"On the 318 section it's a jurisdictional transfer, so that 6 kilometers will roll into our municipal infrastructure. On the 361, we have a 5 year  agreement with the Department of Highways where we're in control of maintenance and snow removal for that period," he added.

With the agreement signed on Tuesday, they are anxious to get going on tenders and such, with the hope to begin work in the construction season of 2018.

More Local News

Autism Funding Comes Up Short

With the recently released budget, the provincial government bumped the number of funding families with children with autism under the age of six receive. The funding is being increased from $4,000 a…

Envision Counseling Get's A Boost With Budget

In the 2019-20 Provincial Budget, it will include a strong focus on mental health. Funding for targeted mental health and addictions initiatives ins increasing by nearly $30 million in this budget to…

C.U.P.E Not Happy With The Provincial Budget

With the provincial budget released on Wednesday, there were cheers and boos from all corners of the province, one group that has almost nothing good to say about the budget is the Canadian Union of…

EPS Deal With Multiple Calls Last Night

The Estevan Police Service had another steady night last night with issues ranging from assault to theft there was no shortage of work for the boys in blue. Sgt. Tyler McMillan gave us some of the…

The EPS Make One Arrest for Assault Last Night

The Estevan Police Service was busy making the rounds last night, The intense hockey game kept most peoples attention for the night however there were a few incidents of note. Sgt.Tyler McMillan.…

Saskatchewan's Population On The Rise

The population in Saskatchewan is on the rise and has been since at least 2007. The population grew by 11,459 people in 2018 to 1,168,423 according to new figures released by Statistics Canada. The…

100 Kids Who Care Growing In Popularity

100 Kids Who Care are stronger together and the children are making a big impact right here in our community. Brooke Spagrud with how the last meeting went, "We had 39 to 40 kids, but one thing we…

Southeast College Holding Speed Networking Event For Students And Business Leaders

The Southeast College is trying something new and holding a speed networking event here in the energy city. It's being billed as an opportunity to meet with local business leaders and work on their…

Rafferty Rumble Gearing Up For Exciting Summer

The Rafferty Rumble is gearing up for a summer of excitement and entertainment. Josh LeBlanc Head Organizer of the Rafferty Rumble, "The Rafferty Rumble will take place from July 26th to the 28th,…

Sidhu Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison

Families and friends of the Broncos, most adorned in Broncos jerseys bearing their family names, gathered once again in the makeshift courtroom at the Kerry Vickar Centre in Melfort to learn the fate… is Estevan's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide