The community of Kipling has been recently visited by some Hungarian Officials, the Bekevar Heritage Board Members toured the group around.
Karen Bernat the director of the Bekevar Heritage Foundation, "We would like to maintain the physical appearance of the building, it does deteriorate as it's not used regularly. Over the past 3 years, it's been used for more funerals and weddings." Bernat goes on to add, "It's beautiful and families like to have their parents buried their because that is where they grew up."
The heritage of this great church goes back to 1901 when eight families had already settled as pioneers in the wilderness that extended 45 miles southwest of Whitewood. The community took steps to organize the framework of the Church in the tradition of the Hungarian Reformed Church to which they used to belong to in the old country. They broke ground spring of 1911 and the dedication took place on July 21, 1912. This beautiful sanctuary with its double steeples was located in the what was then the heart of the colony. Inspiration came from another church back in Hungary. On May 6 of 1966 after much use, the congregation decided to leave the old church building on its site and erect a new building in the town of Kipling. The new church was started in August of 1967 and completed in early 1968. The old church has been utilized for weddings and funerals to this day.
"They came down a couple of times and had a look at the church. And their proposal which was not written it was oral, that they guaranteed the Hungarian heritage in the area would be maintained through monetary donations that would be given to the church to keep it in a good viable condition."
Bernat goes on to mention that a lot of work has gone into the heritage site and that even those who marry into the Hungarian families are invested in the project.