McDonald's is once again raising money for the Ronald McDonald House in Saskatoon with the annual McHappy Day.
"McHappy Day is the most fun we have in our year here," shared Dorianne Geske, Family Service Associate with Ronald McDonald House in Saskatoon. "Staff from our house is traveling all over Saskatchewan and visiting different locations just to talk to families and say thank you for coming in and thank you for donating and supporting us."
McDonald's provides 25% of the operating costs while Saskatchewan community donations make up the other 75%.
"McHappy Day is one of our biggest fundraisers from McDonald's one of our founding and forever partners and it generates a lot of revenue for us. It's just an easy way for people to come out and donate. Just $1 is quite easy for people to afford and this is the easiest way to do it."
Kelly Humphrey, Family Program Coordinator, also added that the house is somewhere that families can support each other while their child is in hospital.
"It's a place where families who have sick kids can come and are able to stay together while their child is in the hospital receiving treatment. It is 42,000 square feet of love. There are 300 volunteers, an amazing staff and it's just a great place despite all the sadness and all the things that go on, it's an incredible place."
"From the time you walk in the door till when the families get up to their room, we have done everything we can to make the house feel like a home. So the kitchen is set up. The one comment we get from almost everyone who walks through the doors is I cannot believe how this feels like home."
"While it is decorated lovely, I think it is just a feeling that is there. I think it is the people who are donating there. It is a place where you see the most generosity of the communities all around Saskatchewan. So while it's housed in Saskatoon, it definitely is a Saskatchewan house."
Geske added that in order to qualify, that family has a child who is 18 years of age or younger in Saskatoon receiving any sort of medical treatment.
"So we have kids who are in the hospital for chemotherapy, sometimes they're there for different things like getting their wheelchair adjusted or for dental surgery, anything like that."
"They need to live more than 40 km outside of Saskatoon and the reason for that is just so that we can support the families who need it most, the families who are traveling from the furthest away have the best opportunity to get into our house."
"And then it's only $10 a night for families to stay. There are no funding criteria for that. If a family isn't able to pay that $10 a night, maybe they're staying there for a month or three and that is too much for them, we would never turn them away. We have lovely donors who support us in that way and would take care of that cost."
Humphrey added her gratitude to the Estevan McDonalds and the community at large.
"Thank you to the families and thank you to this McDonald's. Chris and Tim (owners of McDonald's in Estevan) have been an amazing support over the years and we just want to thank them and thank the community."