Reaction is coming in regarding the Prime Minister's announcement of his plans for the carbon tax.

"We've been hearing about this for quite a while," shared MP for Souris - Moose Mountain Dr. Robert Kitchen. "The Liberals have been talking about it and talking about it and now it's just another point to talk about a little bit more. Basically, they're making it an election gimmick is what they're doing."

"What you get here is a way for the Liberals to purchase your vote with the voters' own money. And we still don't know where the tax is going to be put on. How is it going to be collected?"

The federal government is promising rebates of 90%. The remaining 10% will go towards schools, hospitals, non-profits. 

"It's basically taking your money and giving it back to you. They're giving your own money back to you. And giving back just before the election so you can sit there and consider voting for them."

Dr. Kitchen doesn't feel that this plan will do anything to reduce greenhouse emissions. 

"Ultimately when we look at this we need to look at a number of aspects on how we look at it. The carbon tax agenda that they've been proposing is based on the fact that every country in the world is going to participate in this plan. The only country that is going to participate in this plan is Canada. The big emitters China, India, the United States, the Germans, they're not participating in this."

"If we take a look at BC which has a carbon tax in place, their carbon emissions are going up. And they have the highest gas prices in the country. They're paying $1.64/L."

He would like to instead see more emphasis on coal and clean coal technology such as what is being used at the Carbon Capture and Storage Facility at Boundary Dam. 

"It's efficient and it provides a reliable energy source and it's cheaper. We have the Carbon Capture in Estevan which we all know the huge benefit it provides in taking the carbon out of the air. That is doing something for carbon emissions. Those are the things we need to promote, those are the sort of things we need to be working on."

He likens the carbon tax to putting a shiny object in front of a cat.

"What's that cat going to do? It's going to follow that shiny object. And that's what they're doing here. They're shining a shiny object in front of you which is your own money and trying to get you to follow where that object is going."

More Local News

SaskPower Pleased With Performance Of CCS at Boundary Dam Power Station

SaskPower’s carbon capture and storage facility at the Boundary Dam Power Station had a great year in 2018, according to their vice president of power production, Howard Matthews. The facility…

Millions for Crop Research in Saskatchewan

On Wednesday, the federal Minister of Agriculture Lawrence MacAulay and Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister David Marit announced more than $12 million in funding for forty-four crop-related research…

Humane Society Receives Big Boost With $5000 Grant

The humane society has recently received a $5000 grant from the Western Financial western community foundation. Angela Prette with the humane society was extremely happy with the amount of the grant…

Bitter Winds Sticking Around

After some balmy temperatures and days to start the new year, more traditional Saskatchewan weather has moved in for the third week of January. Cold days and even colder nights with bitter winds is…

Snowplow Safety Important For Everyone

With the lack of snowfall we've seen in the southeast corner of the province, it's easy to forget about the drivers that keep the roads clear and drivers safe. Snowplow operators are often overlooked…

Accident On 13th Ave and King Street

A two-vehicle collision took place early Wednesday morning. "At approximately 7:45 this morning, a two-vehicle collision occurred at the intersection of 13th Avenue and King Street," explained…

The Difference Between Norovirus and Influenza Explained

Norovirus has been identified as the cause of a number of cases of nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting in the province. "Norovirus is a type of virus that affects the intestinal system," explained Doctor…

City's Proposed 2019 Budget Includes No Increase In Taxes Or Utility Rates

The city is planning some ambitious ideas for the proposed 2019 budget, but they won’t be including any higher taxes or utlility increases. The proposed budget was prepared by city administration and…

Pharmacies Running Out Of Flu Vaccine

It’s been a tough flu season in Canada and now some pharmacies in the Estevan area have been running out of the flu vaccine. Jeff Hilderman at the Estevan Pharmasave has seen his pharmacy run out of…

DiscoverEstevan.com is Estevan's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login