Norm Mack, the Roads and Drainage Manager of the City of Estevan joined me on Sun 102, for a morning show. He told us of Operation Clean Sweep.
• An initiative to clean up the City of Estevan every spring. Occurs in May of every year. The initiative is a week long campaign that focuses on different areas of the city on each day.
• Day 1 (May 14): City crews clean ditches, streets, sidewalks in all four entrances of the City and outlying areas.
• Day 2 (May 15): City crews clean all City properties including green spaces such as boulevards, medians, parks and natural areas.
• Day 3&4 (May 16 – North – May 17 South): City of Estevan crews will pick up organic waste material (twigs, leave and yard refuse) from your lane. All Items must be on your driveway BEFORE 8 am the day prior.
• Day 5 -7 (May 18 – 21): City of Estevan offers a FREE landfill weekend for City of Estevan residents. Some restrictions apply.
Norm also discussed Line painting continuing to happen throughout city streets.
Typically paint season runs from May – October with higher traffic locations painted 2 – 3 times a year. Line paining includes crosswalks, lane lines, turning arrows, on-street parking stalls and railway stop lines. To report faded or missing road paint you can do so on the new website www.estevan.ca with the report a problem form.
Mr. Mack also told us about our regular maintenance and construction for the city roads.
• Pot holes and cracks can develop on any of the 75 kilometers of paved streets throughout the city. They form when snow melts into cracks in the asphalt and then freezes. When that water freezes it expands and forms cracks in the road or weakens and swells up the asphalt. To report pot holes you can do so on our website www.estevan.ca with the report a problem form.
• Dust Control – started yesterday Monday, May 14th and is scheduled to be completed today. The program typically lasts two days and is sprayed on main gravel roads within the city. Streets such as; 6th street, Devonian and industrial areas.
Thank you Norm for joining us on Sun 102 this morning, and remember residents to do your part in cleaning up the city. But remember to slow down around all those City Workers.