The provincial government announced yesterday that a pilot project with photo speed enforcement (PSE) permanent will now become permanent and changes are coming to the way the fees are disrupted.  

"We looked at the numbers," explained Joe Hargrave, Minister Responsible for SGI, "and we saw that the numbers were there. Traffic safety and safety on our highways and safety in our communities is extremely important to us. That's what prompted us to make this photo speed enforcement permanent."

Sites of PSE were in Regina, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw and for a time in Martensville for the pilot project. 

"But it's not just about those communities, it's about the whole province of Saskatchewan. And the whole province is in need of safety in our school zones. I have six grandkids and I worry about them."

A new traffic safety committee made up of government, SGI, RCMP, municipal police, SUMA, SARM and FSIN will now oversee the allocation of the money raised through the revenue from PSE tickets. Various communities around the province can apply to pay for safety improvements even if their community does not have PSE. 

"They'll look at the locations, they'll look at the history of speed in that area, of collisions in that area and they'll determine in additional cameras are warranted or if they just say we need a traffic calming device, they'll determine that."

According to the press release:

"Effective Jan. 1, 2019, ticket revenue from PSE will be allocated as follows:

"Highway locations – 25% of ticket revenue goes to the General Revenue Fund (GRF); remaining 75% goes to the Provincial Traffic Safety Fund, minus amount needed to recoup program expenses."

"Municipal locations – 25% of ticket revenue goes to the GRF; remaining 75% will be split 50/50 between a Provincial Traffic Safety Fund and the municipality to be invested in traffic safety initiatives, minus amount needed to recoup program expenses."

"Eligible traffic safety initiatives could include traffic calming measures, traffic signal upgrades or pedestrian crossings."

More Local News

Sidhu Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison

Families and friends of the Broncos, most adorned in Broncos jerseys bearing their family names, gathered once again in the makeshift courtroom at the Kerry Vickar Centre in Melfort to learn the fate…

Southeast Cornerstone School Division Underfunded Again in Provincial Budget

Reactions continuing to come in from those impacted by the 2019 Provincial Budget released yesterday. Chief Financial Officer with the Southeast Cornerstone Public School Division Shelley Toth said…

Police Broke Up Some Fights Last Night

The Estevan Police Service had their fair share of fights to break up last night. Police were called to a local business parking lot to a report of a fight between four males and a female. Police…

Roman Catholic School Division Seeks To Grow Truth And Reconciliation

The Holy Family has been committed to growing Truth and Reconciliation within their school division. Superintendent Terry Jordens, "We've been working with Truth and Reconciliation for a number of…

St. Mary's School Celebrates Rock Your Socks

Rock Your Socks is a program that many throughout the Energy City continue to participate in each year, to bring awareness to Down Syndrome Awareness Day. Special Olympics Active Start and…

Active Start And FUNdamentals Special Olympics Season Comes To Close

The Special Olympics programs hosted their training day to be a Special Olympics coach in Estevan Sunday, December 16, 2018. Kandyce Meili coordinator, "We had the Special Olympics Active Start and…

St. Joseph's Hospital Down a Doctor

The St. Joseph's Hospital has taken a hit recently to their staffing through maternity leave, but now they face a much more permanent loss. Dr. Ahmad Sawwan, their specialist in Obstetrics &…

Spring Melt Means Potholes

It's no surprise to anyone that has driven on paved roads in Canada that the spring weather always uncovers some nasty potholes. Surprisingly though, Estevan is sitting pretty clean when it comes to…

Federal Budget 2019: Local MP Dr. Robert Kitchen

Souris-Moose Mountain MP Doctor Robert Kitchen didn’t sugarcoat his opinion on the federal budget delivered in Ottawa on Tuesday. “This is all staged to be a cover-up,” Kitchen said, alluding to the…

Wildlife Federation Voices Displeasure over Office Closures

Last week the Ministry of Environment announced the closure of 19 field offices, including the one here in Estevan. The decision was a result of budgte cuts and will impact 19 jobs, three of which…

DiscoverEstevan.com is Estevan's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Login